Saturday, 6 April 2013

Balthazar

On Tuesday I went for an early dinner with my friend Lulu to Balthazar. It has recently opened in Covent Garden.


It's a big restaurant and is really nice inside, red leather booth seating, big mirrors, brass finishes.

There are so many staff! I'm not sure if it is because it has just opened and they are eager to please or if it's the NY way of service. But it's all a bit too quick and you feel a bit rushed.

We sat down and were given the menu, we then decided what we were going to have. After this the bread arrived. A mini french stick and quite a few slices of brown.
We hadn't even had half a piece of bread and our food arrived. Bit quick if you ask me. That was the case with the tables around us too. Every time someones food arrived there were mentions of how quick it arrived.

Anyway I had the roasted cod with crushed potatoes, olive tapenade and pistachios.



Lulu had a whole grilled dorade. 


Both mains were really nice good portions and very well cooked. We also had a side of fries that were really thin and crispy, delicious.



I also had a cocktail, tasted like a pint of orange juice with some tequila in and it didn't have any cocktail finesse about it. It just looked like a pint of orange for £8.50 I felt a bit miffed!

For pudding, I had profiteroles, instead of cream in them, they are open and have vanilla ice cream in them and hot chocolate sauce is poured over them at the table. I would go back just for these!



Lulu had cheesecake which again looked nice. It had a mini apple and cinnamon donut on the top. 


After our meal we went to the bakery next door it is set out nicely but it is quite expensive. A regular tin loaf of brioche is £6 so you really are just paying for the name on this one.



Overall I did like it here the food is really nice and the location is great, but it is far more a breakfast, lunch or pre-theatre spot. It isn't somewhere to go and spend an evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment