Friday, 28 June 2013

Review: Sainsbury's Chocolate Macaroon Kit.

At the weekend I made these macaroons using the Sainsbury's chocolate macaroon kit. 
As you can see I think they turned out fabulously. The kit costs £2 and you need to add two egg whites, a tablespoon of milk and 50g of butter. I thought I would show you how to make them as it is easier to see what to do rather to read it regarding consistency and texture, as well as showing you how easy these were to make.


The kit includes the macaroon shell mix, the mix for the filling and a paper piping bag. 


First line a baking tray with baking paper. 


Separate the two egg whites.



Use and electric whisk on a high speed to form stiff peaks. 







Add the powder macaroon shell mix to the egg white and fold in gently so the egg whites don't lose too much volume. Fold until the mixture is combined thoroughly. 





Now pour the mix into the paper piping bag, place in a jug or vase to stabilize it. 





Snip the end off the piping bag and pipe 3cm circles as many as the mix will allow. 


Place the shells in the oven at 50 for 20 minutes. And then up to 180 for 15 minutes. 


Take out and leave to cool while you make the filling. 


Use a whisk to whip the soft butter.


Add the filling mix to the butter and mix. 


Then add the milk.


To form a chocolate icing. 


Pair up the shells, if some are bigger than others pair them together. 


Sandwich the shells together with the icing. 


So easy compared to normal macaroons! And turned out perfect! I really recommend these kits. I saw they also had a raspberry but it was sold out and now I can see why! 



1 comment:

  1. Wow, these look fab! Inspired by your post, I am giving the kit a go, I've always been a little doubtful that I could make macaroons. Did you put them in a cold oven and then put temp to 50c? The packet says to do so but I am not sure. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete