Sunday, 10 November 2013

Beef and Guinness Casserole.

This Sunday I made beef and Guinness casserole. I got the idea from Rosie as she had mentioned on her blog how good it was. I made a few changes but it is basically this Jamie Oliver recipe. I warn you now at no point does this dish look nice, in fact at one point it looked so awful I thought I wouldn't be able to eat it. Now I've really sold you on it haven't I?! But for what it lacks in looks it makes up for in how easy it is to cook and taste.

To make this simple casserole you will need:
700g diced beef
500ml Guinness
6 mushrooms
2 onions
2 carrots
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of plain flour
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
pinch of salt and pepper

First up fry the onion, mushroom and carrots just to take the rawness out of them. Then place in the casserole dish.


In the same pan add the beef and flour and cook just until the flour has disappeared, you don't have to brown the meat.


Add some of the Guinness to help the flour along.


This is where it starts looking interesting to say the least. Add the beef and the Guinness and to the pot and add the tin of tomatoes and season. Put in the oven at 180 for three hours and somehow it all turns out alright.


I told you it would be alright. I like a thick gravy so cooked it for a further two hours.


To reduce it to this state. We had this with jacket potato, tender stem and butternut squash.


This is such an easy dish to make as the prep is maybe 10 minutes, so as long as you have the time to cook it, it's a really great dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment