Sunday, 9 March 2014

Brownie Bites... Kinda.

The buzz in the media at the moment is that processed sugar is the devil food. I have long been aware of my addiction to the sweet stuff but I have been making small changes to try and reduce my sugar intake.

The first way I did this was to cut out fizzy drinks see here.

Secondly I have cut out sweets and most chocolate from my diet, it was getting way out of hand! 

When I do have something that I would add sugar too I try and have stevia or use honey or fruit to add sweetness.

These 'brownie bites' have no added sugar in them so are a winner for me as I will never be able to give up sweet things life is too short!


To make 20 bitesize balls (just bigger than a malteser/malt ball) you will need:
10 pitted dates
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of cocoa nibs
1 tablespoon of natural nut butter (I used almond)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Place this all in a blender until it all comes together. Then form it into balls place in a container and keep in the fridge or at room temperature.



They don't look like much but they taste great. I also tried these nakd bars so I think I am now going to investigate using other nut butters and fruit to create other bites. 



2 comments:

  1. These look great. Can I ask where you found cocoa nibs? I've been looking for them to use in sugar free recipes but haven't had any luck. The dates mean these aren't really sugar free (dried fruit is v high in sugar) but definitely less than shop bought 'health' bars (and chocolate bars of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess! I got the cocoa nibs from holland and barrett find them here... http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3966&prodid=4333
      Yeah dates are high in sugar I think it might be some stupid like 80% but I am trying to replace processed with unprocessed as I could not cope going sugar free!

      Delete