Monday, 20 October 2014

Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup.

I have been trying to make one big pan of soup at the beginning of the week that sets me up for the week. I can just come in after work, heat up a few ladles in a pan and dinner is done. 
This week I made dairy free creamy tomato soup.

This makes probably 10 portions so great for a dinner party or if like me you want to make enough for a week: 
4 cups cashews
4 cups water
2 tbsp oil
2 sticks of celery
2 tbsp garlic
1 tsp italian herbs
half tsp cumin
4 tins tomatoes
2 red peppers
Leave the cashews in the four cups of water to soften overnight. Then blend until smooth (how smooth will depend on your blender) I used a NutriBullet. 


Heat the oil and add the chopped onion and celery and brown. When brown add the garlic, cumin and Italian herbs. After a couple of minutes add in the tomatoes and cook until they start to breakdown. Then add in your ‘cashew milk.’ Cook for a further 10 minutes to let the flavours merge and then blend until smooth.

I was really surprised about how creamy this tasted and I even preferred it to the classic Heinz cream of tomato soup. A definite winner as other tomato soups I have made have not turned out so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment